Common Electrical problems around the home

Our family’s safety is a priority when it comes to household electronics. Electrical issues on your home circuit might manifest themselves in the form of flickering lights, excessive bills, and broken equipment. 

Concept Electrical Group makes you aware of some of the common electrical problems at your home with the best appropriate solutions. If you have no knowledge of electrical devices, always prefer to call your Melbourne electrician on time. 

 

  • Electrical surges on a regular basis

 

Lightning strikes, power line damage, malfunctioning appliances, and poor electrical wiring in the home can all create electrical surges. While a single surge lasts only a fraction of a second, numerous surges can do severe damage to the electrical components in your house, reducing their life expectancy.

If you frequently suffer electrical surges, the source is most likely an electrical gadget linked to the home grid or the cable itself. Remove any poorly constructed gadgets or powerboards from the outlet to check if the surges are reduced. If not, a professional electrician in Melbourne should be consulted.

 

  • Sags and Dips in Power 

 

Sags and dips in electrical supply are frequently caused by electrical items linked to your power grid that are malfunctioning or built of inferior materials and require a lot of power when turned on.

 

  • Faulty light switching

 

Dimmer switches that don't adjust light adequately are frequently the result of poor craftsmanship or inferior components. It might be an indication that the switches have been replaced and fixtures removed, or it could be a malfunction in the outlet. If you're having trouble with your house's switches, contact an electrician in Melbourne. 

 

  • Frequent tripping of the circuit breaker

 

Circuit breakers can be tripped by high-wattage appliances like microwaves and hair dryers, especially if they're connected to the same power source as other power-hungry appliances. A circuit breaker's function is to safeguard you and your house, so if it trips, it's an indication that it's performing its job.

Take a look at what you were doing at the time it tripped.For example, if you're using a hairdryer, a low setting is preferrable. Alternatively, while high-watt gadgets are in operation, limit the electrical use on a single circuit.

 

  • Overload in the circuit

 

Overloading power boards is one of the most common reasons for circuit breaker tripping. Most homes and flats, even modern ones, lack sufficient power outlets to support a comprehensive home entertainment system, for example. If your circuit breakers are tripping regularly in your house, it might be due to circuit overload. 

To avoid this, take the following steps:

  • Never connect power boards in a daisy-chain configuration.
  • Remove any gadgets that are no longer in use (for example, phone chargers still draw power even when not connected).
  • Distribute your electricity requirements. 
  • Don't put too much strain on a single circuit.
  • Be aware of how you connect gadgets in your house - what is in use and what isn't.

 

  • Too bright and too dim lights

 

If certain lights in the house appear to be very bright while others appear to be dull, they are likely because of a bad main neutral connection. Unless it is repaired by an electrician, this will continue to cause difficulties for the home.

 

  • Shocks in the electrical system

 

An electrical shock is a dreadful sensation. Even though they are typically small, similar to a static shock, they serve as a reminder that electricity is harmful when it is not in use. When you switch a gadget on or off, you might get an electrical shock. It may be likely to have a problem with the appliance or the wiring. 

You may test this by plugging in a different item and seeing whether the results are consistent, but you'll only end up with another electrical shock. In most circumstances, it is preferable to consult with an electrician in Melbourne.

 

  • High electric bills

 

You might be able to save money on your power bill by doing the following:

  • Changing to a less expensive provider
  • Determining which electrical equipment may be generating power spikes
  • Repairing hot water system leaks and unplugging gadgets and chargers when not in use
  • Damaged wiring or circuits must be repaired.

 

  • Burning Out Light bulbs 

 

Your lights may be burning out too frequently for a variety of reasons:

  • The power consumption is excessive
  • The insulation is placed too near to the light source
  • The circuit has bad wiring
  • Problem with the main wiring
  • On a dimmer switch, one switch has too much total wattage
  • If the light is flickering, there is most likely a problem with the circuit.

For non-professionals, identifying the problem might be difficult. 

If you're burning through light bulbs like nobody's business, it might be worth consulting an electrician to figure out what's causing the problem.

 

  • Received light goes out and returns

 

When recessed lighting (such as downlights) gets excessively hot, safety mechanisms switch off the power to the light. You're either employing light with too much wattage or the ceiling insulation is too near to the bulb. Overheated lighting can cause a fire, so make sure to test it on a frequent basis.

What to do if problems continue

If you are experiencing electrical troubles in your house, you should consider hiring an electrician in Melbourne. Don't leave anything to chance when it comes to your family's safety at home. For peace of mind and safety assurance, contact a professional, such as your Concept Electrical Group, to assist in diagnosing problems with your home's electricals.